Dear Family,
This past friday, as we were about to head out the door for lessons that day, we heard yelling outside. At first, we had just thought it was our
neighboors in an argument but it turned out to be so much more than that. There was running on the stairs and pounding at our door to open up.
The cop had banged on our door to get us all out of the apartment. The apartment two doors down from us was burning up from a fire we hadn't
even noticed that was happening. They had evacuated all of us onto the lawn, the poor families that were affected had to just stand back to watch
it burn. It was thankful though, that none of them (or us!) had been hurt by the fire. It was very lucky that day that the wind was blowing in the opposite
direction then our apartment. If it had been blowing in our direction, we would've been affected and probably would've had to move.
We ended up having to cancel all apointments and just wait for the fireman's go-ahead to get back into the apartment. Our apartment was not affected by this, and the smoke has since been cleaned out. They think the cause of this fire was, of all things a ciggerate butt. Somone had carelessly flicked one into the bush next to the apartment and because of this small act, two families are now affected by the fire. This made me really re-think a lot of things this week, in particuar of Satan's plan for us. One small act of disobediance can not only affect ourselves, but of our whole entire family. What are we doing on a daily basis that draws us away from our heavenly father? It can be the smallest things. You don't want his eternal plan to be destroyed for you by being addicted to one thing, or one choice. On my mission, I have had the great opporutunity to teach individuals and families about the savior's plan for us. It is so sad to see how addicted they are to a certain substance and won't give it up. That substance can be as little as a cup of coffee to keep them from achieving their full blessings of salvation. I am thankful for the infinite power of the atonement and how the savior's love and sacrifice can help us overcome all things, only if we come unto him. My challange to you this week is to re-evaluate what you are doing and find the small things that are keeping the spirit from being present or from your personal relationship with him. You don't want to give up your salvation for nothing. This i know to be true.
The next day for us was General Confrence. What a great announcment! I wouldn't be surprised to see so many more missionaries in the field after this. I'm excited for JT to go on a mission too. There were so many great uplifiting messages from confrence. I think one was Elder Holland's that really struck me the most. My companion and I watched it with some Investigators and a member made us some yummy cinnamon rolls. I don't know if I have told you this yet, but my companion has made the decesion to go home early because of her back. This has been a huge struggle for her, but the only thing they can do for her is surgery, and this will have to wait until she gets home. She's been a good sport about all of this, but prayers right now I think would help her get through until she gets to next Monday.
I love all of you and pray for you.
Love, Sister Embley
0 comments:
Post a Comment