Dear Family,
I've offically been on my misson for a year now! It's a little crazy to think about.
We've had so many intresting things happen to us this week. This saturday here in Silverton the weather hit 109+ degrees the hottest i've seen Oregon so far. Sister Monson and I were out contacting people who had been contacted before by the missionaries. One of them wasn't home when we tried them, and we decided to just walk back to the car when something directed us elsewhere. There was a creek and a big area of tall grass next to the house with someone in the creek. We decided to hike up our skirts to find this person and talk to them, regardless of the obstacle.
As we started to talk, we found out that this woman was the wife to the person that we had been looking for and she invited us in for some water out of the heat. She turned out to be a Seventh day adventist, but was willing to listen to the message that we had. The plan of salvation just kept coming up in the conversation before, so we both felt inspired to teach her about our purpose and just how much our heavenly father loves us. Times like these, I am so thankful for the spirit and for the truths that are in the bible that have been restored! She just wouldn't believe anything unless we had backed it with the bible refrences, but the spirit testified to her as we were teaching.
As we were talking, I'm not sure how it was brought up in the conversation, but she told us that her husband was deaf, and he had become deaf from a disease he had recieved later on in his life. Her husband knows no sign language but just communicates with lip reading, which is more common amoung the deaf than actually knowing sign language. They are both intrested in going to the deaf brach. I don't think they knew that there are deaf churches all over oregon. We have one of the biggest population of the deaf community here. But the neatest thing is that they agreed to have us come and teach again! I think there are so many diffrent reasons as to why I'm in Silverton. We didn't set out to find a deaf person, but prayer led us to one.
Saturday, we were also giving service to someone that we had been teaching. Her roomate are both not members, one of them is always drunk. One of them named Lu asked us to cut her hair. Sister Monson came up with the greatest thing ever. If Lu agreed to come to church, we would cut her hair for her. She agreed and actually came to church but was defintily not sober when she came to church. It's sad, but she's always drinking and hasn't ever stopped. She only promised to stay the first hour, but her friend convinced her to stay for all three. She turned out to like it and we invited her to come back. The atonement of Jesus Christ works with everyone. I would love to see her life change if she just stops drinking!
I love you!
Sister Embley
0 comments:
Post a Comment