Dear Family,
happy general confrence weekend. Wasn't that just amazing? We watched both Saturday sessions with investigators. The first session, the moment the Prophet stood up, I just felt such gratitude for him and for all that he does. He was very direct and bold in his first appearance. He quoted a quote from Joseph Smith called the "Standard of Truth", which is something that we recite every morning as missionaries. I love it when he speaks. I know he is a prophet of God. I don't think someone can walk away from watching him speak and not know, if they truely desire to know that he is!
Saturday afternoon I think was my favorite when Elder Holland boldy spoke of judging others and of sin. I liked how he said " How ever many chances, mistakes, or distance from God you think you have traveled, you are not far from his love. It is impossible to sink." This reminded me so much of the atonement. Without the atonement, this life would be impossible. Christ has an unfinite love for all of us. This made me think of someone in my last area, a recent convert that we taught after she was baptised. She had been struggling with word of wisdom even after she was baptised and who was at first, mean and tough to everyone because of life's circumstances learned to rely upon the Lord.
This was a miracle to us. I met her after her baptism and watched as she still countinued to see make those changes, even when those around her didn't. There was one lesson, in paticular that those in the house were smoking and participating in a less than postive attitude toward us as the lesson was proceding. We felt prompeted to discuss prayer with her, and she had shared with us a story of how the spirit had responsed to a question she had or a trail that she had been going through. The spirit is the ulimate teacher of the atonement. It is what will soften the heart of the willing follower of christ. Being a missionary has truely humbled me as I witness this power of the atonement in the lives of others.
At the end of the lesson, we invited one of her sons to learn about the restored gospel that she was now apart of. He rejected this by saying that he wanted to be the black sheep of the family, and didn't just want to follow what his family was doing. We testifed to him of the importance of families and how we know the gospel will bless him if he accepts the message that we have. He still rejected and refused. I'm thankful for having a family that does follow christ, and serve others who don't.
Let me know what some of your favorite talks were! Did any of you spot david archuletta in the missionary choir? My companions did:) Love, Sister Embley
0 comments:
Post a Comment