Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

27-Nov-2012, Back to the Deaf Branch!


Dear Family,
Transfers were this Monday, and I am now offically back in the deaf branch. My new companion's name is Sister Furnell, she is from utah and is awesome.
It's a little weird being back in my greenie apartment and in my greenie area, but I'm super excited to be able to be in deaf work again. It's a one of a kind work.
There are four of us signing sisters now, and the map is split from North to South here in Oregon. We're not really sure how this will be for what work there is,
but I am excited to be signing again. This transfer meeting I think was the most intresting transfer meeting I've been too...There were two sets of sisters that
went back to be companions again for a second time, (one of which was my old trio, except I'm not there this time) and another went back to their greenie
area with an old companion. It's getting to the point on my mission where us older sisters are bound to be companions again, espically with ASL. Another
Sister I served with was in the full time proslyting and now she is serving in the temple vistor's center with no pre-vistor's center training.
It's always intresting to see where the lord/mission president calls and puts us in each area there is. It was harder than I thought to say goodbye to Silverton.
 Our area is and was doing really well. I'll be back there on the 8th for a baptism and some upcoming baptisms with people we have taught from start to finish.
This past week was Thanksgiving, so we spent it with family members of our ward here in Silverton. The deaf branch thanksgiving dinner was the weekend
before, and that was just an adventure. We ended up going with a deaf member to Washington first to help them with the food for the event and they ended
up getting pulled over and let off with a warning on the way. It was fun to be with four of us signing sisters for the weekend.
We had a combined lesson with the spanish elders this week, Elder Ellis and Elder Jones and both are really well at speaking spanish. The mother and daughter
speak more english and live in our area of Silverton. The mother came up to us this past week and asked us to help get her daughter on a mission. We had never
really taught a combined lesson before and was a little nervous about how well it would mesh with four people, but it went well. The spirit was really strong when
we just talked about the experiances we have had as missionaries and the process of being a missionary. This family had just gotten baptised the week before
in the Spanish Branch. Some sisters in this area actually found them because the wrong package was delivered to them. When they knocked on the door, they
were more than ready for their message but just needed the spanish elders because the father spoke little english. At the end of the lesson, the elders had all of
us bear our testimony about how being on a mission has blessed us and I think the spirit was the strongest at this point of the lesson. I know we have language
barriers at times, but the spirit is the ultimate and true teacher. I don't think anyone could deny the feeling that was there.
Friday, I was on another split with the North Marion Sisters and we were able to have another lesson with Jesse on baptism. His friend converted to the gospel
two years ago and has been working with him ever since on coming to this church. He has been pretty accepting with everything, and it's been so neat to watch
him accept the gospel even more with the teachings. We had a member prepare them for baptism by showing them how we are properly baptised. This would be
his friends first time baptising anyone being a convert to the church. I'm excited to be able to go back to my old area, Silverton for Jesse's baptism soon.
Sunday was a really hard day for me to say goodbye to everyone, but it is nice to move on to another area. Hopefully I'll be somewhat fluent in sign when I come
home and you guys can all have language study with me. We're busy working hard at teaching and finding. Sister Furnell is a hard worker and I'm greatful to have
her. I love all of you!
Sister Embley

0 comments:

Post a Comment